Schedule a Grand Rounds
We write to offer you an excellent grand rounds topic: The U.S. health care crisis, the impact of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and the alternative, single-payer reform. Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP) can provide you with an expert physician speaker on this, or related topics.
PNHP has long been engaged in the U.S. health reform debate. Since our proposal for single-payer national health insurance appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association (08/13/03), our membership has grown to more than 18,000 American physicians, including many of the most respected members of our profession. PNHP leaders have made major contributions in the leading journals to the body of research on the U.S. health system, including the following findings:
- Medical bills contribute to sixty percent of all U.S. personal bankruptcies. (“Medical Bankruptcy in the United States, 2007: Results of a National Study,” Am. J. Med., 2009, )
- 31 percent of U.S. health spending is consumed by administrative costs. (“Costs of Health Care Administration in the U.S. and Canada” NEJM, 2003)
- Nearly 45,000 Americans die annually due to lack of health insurance. (“Health Insurance and Mortality in US Adults,” Am. J. Pub. Health, 2009)
- U.S. citizens are less healthy and have poorer access to health care than do Canadians. (“Access to Care, Health Status, and Health Disparities in the United States and Canada: Results of a Cross-National Population-Based Survey,” Am. J. Pub. Health, 2006)
- Immigrants heavily subsidize the Medicare Trust Fund, contributing $115 billion more over eight years than they have taken out in medical expenses. (Health Affairs, 2013)
Your program might feature a single speaker analyzing problems in the current health care system and the case for national health insurance. Alternatively, you might consider a debate format, contrasting pro-national health insurance views with those advocating for market-oriented reform. Related issues such as tort reform and quality improvement can also be addressed. A sample of Dr. Oliver Fein's grand rounds presentation is available here.
This type of grand rounds can assist residency programs in fulfilling ACGME’s Systems-based Practice competency requirement.
Click here to see a list of sample speakers, and we have many additional speakers throughout the U.S. Many of our speakers request little or no honoraria unless travel is required.
To schedule a grand rounds, please fill out the form below. For additional information or if you have any questions, please contact us at (312) 782-6006 or email@example.com.