Employment opportunities at PNHP
Position: Communications Specialist
Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP), a national nonprofit organization based in Chicago, seeks a communications specialist to support national office staff and membership with all aspects of communications strategy. Salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and 2 writing samples to email@example.com by Friday, February 10, 2017.
- Work with executive director and communications team to plan, initiate, execute and manage public relations activities for PNHP with the goals of (1) enhancing PNHP’s visibility and name recognition; (2) reaching influential figures in the medical profession, media and government; (3) recruiting more members; (4) increasing fundraising; and (5) turning around negative media coverage, if and when it occurs.
- Handle major media inquiries and promote PNHP spokespeople across various media outlets including traditional television, radio and print, utilizing news releases, email pitches, direct mail, advertising and online via websites, blogs, wikis and other social portals.
- Lead media outreach for publicity of academic health policy studies authored by PNHP leaders.
- Brief PNHP spokespeople prior to media appearances.
- Assist with development and editing of opinion pieces, articles, letters to the editor, PNHP newsletter (at least three times per year), brochures, pamphlets and petitions.
- Compose and edit internal communications, including monthly email blasts to PNHP members and supporters.
- Select articles for posting to the PNHP website.
- Maintain a master media list; create specialized lists on demand via PNHP’s list source. Assist, where appropriate, local chapters in their publicity work.
- Contribute to redesign of PNHP website.
- Other tasks and roles as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of experience in journalism, communications, health policy, public policy, political campaigns, or a related field
- Knowledge of health policy and politics
- Strong multi-tasking and inter-personal skills
- Commitment to social justice and not-for-profit single-payer national health insurance
- Knowledge of AP style a plus
- Experience working with physicians and students a plus