Liberal Benefits, Conservative Spending
5. Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU. Resolving the cost/access conflict: the case for a national health program. J Gen Intern Med. 1989; 4: 54-60.
6. Grumbach K. National health insurance in America: can we practice with it? can we practice without it? West J Med. 1989; 151: 210-216.
7. Himmelstein DU, Woolhandler S. A national health program for the United States: a physicians' proposal. N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 102-108.
8. Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU. A national health program: a northern light at the end of the tunnel. JAMA.1989; 262: 2136-2137.
9. Health Care Financing Administration. National health expenditures: 1986-2000. Health Care Financing Rev. 1987; 8(4): 1-36.
10. Needleman J, Arnold J, Sheils J, Lewin LS. The Health Care Financing Systent and the Uninsured. Washington, DC: Lewin/lCF; 1990.
11. Newhouse JP, Manning WG, Morris CN, et al. Some interim results from a controlled trial of cost sharing in health insurance. N Eng J Med. 1981; 305: 1501-1507.
12. Enterline PE, Salter V, McDonald AD, McDonald JC. The distribution of medical services before and after 'free' medical care: the Quebec experience. N Engl J Med. 1973; 289: 1174-1178.
13. McDonald AD, McDonald JC, Salter V, Enterline P. Effects of Quebec Medicare on physician consultation for selected symptoms. N Engl J Med. 1974; 291: 649-652.
14. Brook RH, Ware JE Jr, Rogers WH, et al. Does free care improve adults' health? results from a randomized controlled trial. N Engl J Med. 1983; 309: 1426-1434.
15. Eisenberg JM. Doctors' Decisions and the Cost of Medical Care. Ann Arbor, Mich: Health Administration Press; 1986.
16. Wennberg J. Outcomes research, cost containment, and the fear of health care rationing. N Eng J Med. 1990; 323:1202-1204.
17. Chassin MR, Kosecoff J, Park RE, et al. Does inappropriate use explain geographic variations in the use of health care services? JAMA. 1987; 258: 2533-2537.
18. Himmelstein D, Woolhandler S. Cost without benefit: administrative waste in US health care. N Eng J Med. 1986; 314: 441-445.
19. Aggregate Hospital Financial Data for California: Report Periods Ending June 30, 1987-June 29, 1998. Sacramento: California Health Facilities Commission; 1989.
20. Gonzalez ML, Emmons DW. Socioeconomic Characteristics of Medical Practice. Chicago, Ill: American Medical Association; 1988.
21. Iglehart J. Canada's health system faces its problems. N Eng J Med. 1990; 322: 562-568.
22. American Medical Association. The administrative burden of health insurance on physicians. Socioeconomic Monitoring Survey Rep. 1989; 3: 2-4.
23. National Health Expenditures. Ottawa, Ontario: Health and Welfare Canada; 1990.
24. Grumbach K, Bodenheimer T. Reins or fences? a physician's view of cost containment. Health Aff 1990; 9(4):120-126.